Friday 4 September 2015

Mi Gerddaf Gyda Thi, A Translation from Welsh by Ms T. Magpie Cat

I do sometimes do things other than sew or mope about my cat.  Such as look at beautiful shops like Buddug, and develop a terrible need for things like this plate:


The poem (just the first verse) on it is rather lovely too, and they translate it as follows:

"I will walk with you across distant paths
Flowers and dreams will bless our journey
Into your eyes I will gaze and holding your hand
I will walk with you whatever may come"

I was very taken with it, and although I can barely speak a word of Welsh, I found an audio recording of it (I've since lost the link, of course) and it is just lovely.  The full text is here:

Mi gerddaf gyda thi dros lwybrau maith,
A blodau, cân a breuddwyd ar ein taith;
I`th lygaid syllaf i a dal dy law:
Mi gerddaf gyda thi, beth bynnag ddaw.

Mi gerddaf gyda thi pan fydd y lloer
Fel llusern yn y nen ar noson oer.
Addawaf i ti'n ghalon i yn llwyr:
Mi gerddaf gyda thi drwy oriau'r hwyr.

Mi gerddaf gyda thi drwy weddill f'oes,
Pan fydd yr haul ar fryn neu'r dyddiau'n groes;
A phan ddaw'r alwad draw, pwy wyr pa awr,
Mi gerddaf gyda thi i’r freuddwyd fawr. 

So then I looked for a full translation of the whole poem.  What I found was...   

I'll be honest, I am not feeling that translation AT ALL.  A bit too much of the golden dreams and starlight and not quite enough of the simple, sincere feeling I had from the bare translation.  But it's a poem that rhymes, and I felt like a translation of it should rhyme too, and so with the help of Google Translate and my wonderful friend who is a native Welsh speaker, I decided to have a go myself. And here is what I have ended up with:

I will walk with you though the road be long,
And set forth with a flower, a dream, a song.
I take your hand, look in your eyes and know
I will walk with you anywhere you go.

I will walk with you when the full moon's light
Is like a lantern in the coldest night.
I promise you my heart, entire and all,
I will walk with you as the shadows fall.

I will walk with you all the years ahead,
On sunlit hills and when the sun has fled.
And when our call is heard, its hour unguessed,
I will walk with you through the lands of rest.

I don't know if it's better or not, but I like it more.  If anyone should happen upon it and decide they want to use it for anything, please do so with my blessing!

Not quilting, not cats, but I was rather proud of it so I thought I'd share.  Have a lovely weekend!

23 comments:

  1. I love the calm gentle mood . So thank you for sharing it.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely poem Helen. I'm looking for a poem to be read at my mother's funeral and came across this. She was born in London to Welsh parents in 1929 and was always proud of her Welsh heritage. I would very much like to include your translation of it at the funeral service. I will give you full credit. I hope that's OK. I haven't found anything else suitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, I'm overwhelmed! Of course you are welcome to use it and I'm very, very flattered that you liked it and feel it's suitable. My sympathies for you loss, and I hope the funeral goes as well as these things can. Thank you so much for your kind message.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Helen, for letting me use the poem and for your kind words. Best wishes, Alison

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much Helen for letting me use the poem and also for your kind words. Best wishes, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful translation, it may not be exactly word for word but it gave me the same feeling reading your translation as it did reading the original. I hope you don't mind me using this at my wedding.. Fantastic job..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted you did! This blog is so old and neglected now that I'm not even sure I've logged into it properly, but it's me, honest - I hope your day went beautifully and my best wishes for your future. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Helen, I'd like to use your translation within a sci-fi short story audio which will be freely available to download. Of course I'll mention your name (Helen Ryan) and that it was your translation of Mi gerddaf gyda thi dros lwybrau maith, if I may?
    Steve Masters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, sorry for the delayed response. I'm sure that would be fine, but just for caution's sake, would you mind sending me the story for a quick look-over? I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  6. Hi Helen,
    I'd be happy to forward the short story on to you for your personal reading but do you have a private email address I can use to send the attachment on to you? You probably are able to see mine so if you forward it to me via that (rather than through this web page) that should be fine - I will get it to you asap.
    Cheers,
    Steve Masters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, I don't actually seem able to get to your email - I did give it a good go! However mine is the name of this blog AT gmail DOT com, if you want to shoot it over? Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Hi Helen, sent it to you yesterday (30/4). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helen,

    This is absolutely Perfect and Beautiful. We've been looking for a read reading that works in both English and Welsh for our Wedding. I think this is the one! :) Your translation brings the beauty of the welsh poem through! Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I'm so glad! It's amazing to me that people are finding this translation and enjoying it so much, I'm so proud and pleased by it. I hope your wedding day goes wonderfully, and I wish you many happy years together!

      Delete
  9. What a delightful interpretation into English of this old Welsh poem! Perfect. We have inscribed the poem in Welsh upon a Scottish quaich as a wedding gift for some friends in Aberystwyth, but your is the version of the poem that will be read. Beautiful! Just perfect for a young couple who in setting out on life together love nothing more than walking the hills of Wales. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I missed this comment... by almost a year D:

      Thank you so much for using my translation and I'm glad it was suitable, I hope the couple in question are happy together!

      Delete
  10. Hi Helen,
    I came across your post a few years ago and so I knew when the time came to plan my wedding this would be the reading. It's absolutely beautiful. As a fluent Welsh speaker I had already come across the original poem but to find your translation is wonderful. I will be getting married in October (all being well) and we are having a bilingual ceremony as many of my family members to not speak Welsh. Would it be ok to print in our order of service and have our maid of honour & best man read it during the ceremony? We will of course put your name on it. Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic piece. All the best to you, from Angharad xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Gosh, I feel like I always miss comments on this old blog by months so I'm really glad I caught this - congratulations on your weddning and I'm so flattered you want to use my translation. You are absolutely welcome to print it with my name on and thank you for asking!

      Delete
  11. Hello, Helen
    Just to say that we used part of your wonderful translation at our civil wedding yesterday, in Balfron, Stirlingshire. My now-wife and I lived in Cardiff for many years before arriving in Scotland, so we wanted some Welsh in our short ceremony because our two eldest were born there, went to Welsh school there and because Wales/Welsh is close to our hearts! The Scottish/Italian/Filipino guest witnesses present were impressed with the Welsh sounds and also with the lovely translation. A special moment in our day - thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful!! I check this blog so rarely I've only just seen this one, I'm so glad your day went well and that you wanted to include the translation. All best wishes for your future together!

      Delete
  12. Hello Helen, We would like to use your English translation of the poem "Mi gerddaf gyda thi" in a Memorial Service in a few weeks time. Could you let me know your surname, so that we can give you full credit. Thanks for translating the piece - Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh, how lovely! It's Ryan, Helen Ryan. Thank you so much for getting in touch.

      Delete